Builders Warranty Insurance Victoria>>>

Understanding Owner Builders Warranty in Victoria

Home owner’s warranty, Domestic Building Insurance or its common name Builders Warranty is available in all mainland states.

Whether you are a homeowner who is using a Builder or an Owner Builder, it is mandatory for Builders or Owner Builders selling their home to obtain Warranty Insurance.

Builders Warranty in Victoria

Warranty must be obtained for any work that is to be done that exceeds $16,000. Furthermore, this insurance must provide coverage for damages up to $300,000 and cover a period of six years for structural defects. The warranty is good for two years on any non-structural defects.

Builders offering warranty insurance in Victoria must comply with all statutory warranties. These warranties function to ensure the work is carried out properly and complies with any contract plans and specifications. All materials have to be new unless otherwise stated in the contract, and they must be good and suitable for the intended purpose. The work must be done in accordance with all laws and within the time period established in the contract. Finally, the residence must be fit for human occupation when the work is complete and must live up to what was originally promised.

Home owners warranty

Builders warranty in Victoria is designed to protect the homeowner in a variety of situations. In the event the building contract is not completed, the insurance policy goes into effect. The same is true when the builder fails to correct any defects that arise during the statutory 6 year Warranty period.
Builders Warranty Insurance is available in the event the builder dies, disappears or is insolvent.

Owner Builders

Owner Builders are required to provide Warranty Insurance for the benefit of a purchaser within 6 years of the final, also a Defect Inspection Report from an approved inspector, outlining whether there are defects, incomplete works or second hand materials have been used in the job. Once listed these items cannot be claimed against by the purchaser.

When selling their home, be aware that unless the Owner Builder Warranty Insurance Certificate is attached to the Contract of Sale, the purchaser under 137B of the Building Act is within his rights to ‘walk away’ from the contract.

Note well, the contract is voidable at any time prior to the settlement, if the policy has not been issued prior to signing the Contract of Sale. Make it easy on yourself and organise the warranty, because the last thing you want is for the purchaser to walk!

The Warranties are in effect for 6 years and are transferable in that period.

For more information on your rights and responsibilities, refer to

Why Choose BuildSafe?

  • Being a Specialised Building Industry broker who has been dealing with Warranty Insurers since 1996, we have an experienced team available to help you clear up any issues with the insurer, so you you can get back to doing what you do well – building! Carmen and the team look forward to helping you with the process of Warranty Insurance.

Obtaining Home Warranty Insurance is a straightforward process – just that many Insurance companies make it hard for the Builder. Not so at BuildSafe Insurance Brokers. We’ll help and get our hands dirty.


Got a Question about Builder Home Warranty Insurance/ Domestic Building Insurance? We’ve got the Answer!

BuildSafe have been issuing Home Warranty Certificates for over 20 years , we understand the right steps to helping your business grow. We will work on your behalf to get the turnover you want to achieve. We can liase with distributors and insurers for requests for higher limits, changes to save you time. “We dont make it complicated!”
Builders need to apply with what is called a Letter of Eligibility. The process with BuildSafe differs depending on how long you have been in business for. We may only require very minimal details if you have been in business for years. Regardless of whether you have been in business for 10 years or 2 weeks, we can help and provide you with the best options.
BuildSafe can process and administer Certificates on your behalf and in additional support you is using any insurer portals if assistance is required. We can do everything for you.
A builder must provide an owner with Domestic Builders Insurance in Victoria when domestic building work is done in excess of $16,000 in Victoria.
BuildSafes can also provide various contracts to our Builders at no additional cost, depending on the amount of projects you do.



Download it now!


Our Proposal Form

Click Me!


Get a quick quote

Quick Quote

Get Started Today

Click Me!

Letter of

Find out more information

Find out more

Check out our Eligibility Proposal

Click Me!

Latest News

Keep up to date with the latest news in the industry!

flickr reports: Invalid API Key (Key has invalid format)