Owner Builder Home Indemnity Insurance – Western Australia



Watch this short short video for more detail

Owner Builder Home Indemnity Insurance is required in Western Australia when an Owner Builder sells their dwelling within the Statutory Indemnity period.

The Period of Cover is 7 years from the Building License Issue date.

Home Indemnity Insurance covers:
Residential/Domestic Building Work.
Multi Unit developments exceeding 3 story’s and fully leased retirement villages are exempt from obtaining Home Indemnity Insurance.

The minimum value of works required to obtain Home Indemnity Insurance is $12,000. The maximum amount that can be claimed under a Home Indemnity Insurance policy is the value of contract work with a limit of $100,000.The purchaser and any subsequent purchaser of the home, not the actual owner builder, can claim on their Indemnity Policy if the owner builder has become insolvent, died or disappeared.

Home Indemnity Insurance only covers defects, which are not identified in the Inspection Report that are identified within the 7 year Statutory Indemnity period. Failure to provide this insurance prior to selling the property can result in fines up to $10,000. If a contract of sale has been entered into without providing the Indemnity Insurance, the purchaser has rights to pull out of the sale prior to completion of the contract.

Our response time to generate your Indemnity Certificate is normally within 120 minutes and of course subject to quality and detail of the Application.

Most asked Questions and Answers

What is it?
It is a compulsory insurance required by the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 (WA).

What does it cover?
The insurance provides the purchaser (and subsequent purchasers) with cover for the Statutory Warranties provided in the Act. It is important to note that a claim can only be made under this policy if the Owner Builder dies, disappears or becomes insolvent. Otherwise, it is the Owner Builders responsibility to rectify any faults that are not listed as defects, incomplete works or second hand materials under the defect report.

Who should have it?
The legislation applies to any residential building work undertaken by an Owner Builder, over $12,000 in value. This insurance only applies where the property is sold within 7 years from the Building License date in Western Australia. It is not required if the Owner Builder does not sell the property within this period.

Period of Insurance?
Home Indemnity Insurance commences from the Building License date and extends for 7 years. The maximum limit of indemnity is $100,000.

What happens if an Owner Builder sells without Owner Builder Indemnity Insurance?
An Owner Builder that sells within 7 years from the Building License date and fails to obtain Owner Builder Indemnity Insurance, or attach an insurance certificate to the Contract of Sale, can face a fine of up to $10,000. If a Contract of Sale has been entered into without Owner Builder Indemnity Insurance, the purchaser can void the contract at any time before completion of the contract.

Please ask about our Turnaround time options available to you
Standard Turnaround– 24 hours
Express Service– 4 hours
Super Express Service – 1 hour (subject to satisfactory receipt of Application and supporting documents)

Be Sure Be Safe Build Sure BuildSafe
Warranty Insurance Proposal Form >>>
List of Accredited Building Inspectors >>>
Required Documents Checklist >>>
Enquiry Form >>> 1300 763 016 for more information
Quick Quote >>>

Dear Juanita
Thank you for your prompt and efficient service.

Grateful thanks and regards,